Frequently Asked Questions about Houston Child Visitation Rights

Image of GavelMany people often have similar questions regarding Houston child visitation rights. A Houston child visitation rights attorney has provided the answers to some of the most common questions below. Feel free to contact a Houston child visitation rights lawyer at John K. Grubb and Associates regarding any further questions or concerns.

Can grandparents or other relatives obtain child visitation rights?

Grandparents or other relatives may petition for visitation rights any time after the divorce has been finalized. The court will consider the individual circumstances of the case before making a decision. Often, it is important if the grandparents have had, or have attempted to have, a meaningful relationship with the child.

If the parents are still married, grandparents cannot petition for grandparent visitation rights.

If you have further questions regarding visitation rights for grandparents, contact a Houston child visitation rights lawyer at the law firm of John K. Grubb and Associates.

Does the child have a say in who will be granted visitation?

Courts will often take into consideration the wishes of older children. If the child is 16 years of age or older, he or she may petition the court regarding visitation rights. Courts will very rarely consider the opinion of a very young child.

Contacting a Houston child visitation rights attorney may help the voice of your older child be heard in court.

What is supervised visitation?

If one or both parents are determined to be a threat to the child, the court may require supervised child visitation. In a supervised visit, the parent may not be left alone with the child; therefore, a third party will monitor the events. The parent or parents that are restricted to supervised visits may only see the child at a scheduled time and location that is approved of by the court.

A Houston child visitation rights lawyer can help to answer further questions regarding supervised visitation.

Is child support a factor in visitation rights?

No. If the non-custodial parent does not pay child support, he or she cannot be denied access to their child.

At the law office of John K. Grubb and Associates, there is a Houston child visitation rights attorney that will be available to answer any further questions you may have regarding child visitation rights.

Comments are closed.